July 31, 2018
The Heart of Man
Text: Jeremiah 17:9-10
The above text tells us what the heart is.
Content of the heart..Ezekiel 14:1-8, 1 John 5:21
Idols are in the heart and the Lord wants us to get rid of them otherwise, he will not hear us. Psalms 66:18
What are the Idols in the Heart?
1. PRIDE: Isaiah 2:11-12. Many Christians who put their trust in God for eternity still do not allow God to control their lives because of PRIDE. Don’t be proud brother!
Pride can manifest in ,any ways, sometimes, it is hidden in our attitudes and character trait. Disobedience to Authority is often a matter of pride.
You don’t want others telling you how to live and run your life even though it is evidently clear that you are not living right.
2. LUST: Matthew 5:27-28. Many are addicted to lustful thoughts and actions. Lust is not always passive. Some present themselves in a way so as to entice others to look at them.
3. PHYSICAL IDOLS: Exodus 20:3-5, Acts 4:12. Many may be inclined to say, we don’t have graven images in our houses, but anything that you spend time with and are not willing to give up to serve the Lord is an Idol already.
Anything that from focusing on God appropriately, TV,car, Telephone etc are the physical idols, so check.
4. SELF: Matthew 6:33. This is manifested when an individual places his/her own needs and want ahead of what the Lord wants he/her to do.
Don’t allow your desires and plans to become an idol in your heart. For example, some will say, if I marry, I will finish building my house before anything else comes.
5. ENTERTAINMENT: Colossians 3:17. Is your entertainment honoring God? 10k for you and wife for your outing, but how much do you put in your offering box?
If the value you place on your entertainment is more than the value you place in God , then it has become your idol. If you can’t pay tithe because you want to eat, then food has become your idol.
6. RULES/TRADITION: Mark 7:8-9, 13. The Pharisees in the Bible made their laws into idols. They value their own set of uses and tradition above the law of God. They were so engrossed in keeping laws that they ignored the teaching of the Bible .
7. RELIGION: Matthew 23:27-31. Focus on relationship with God, not just commitment to a church or religion. Some religions have admittedly thrown out the teachings of the Bible in preference to their own books or teaching and end up calling them new teaching or revelation from God.
8. HATRED AND BITTERNESS. Ephesians 4:26-27. Instead of allowing bitterness to become an idol in your heart, try sincerely praying for the other person. Then you will have more joy and you will trade your worship of hatred for a real prayer with God.
9. FEARS & WORRY: Philippians 4:6. Fear sometimes is another type of pride. People hang on their fears because it gives them comfort over what they can control.
They refuse to step out on faith and allow the Lord ,I.e another attempt to control your own life and not allow the Lord to be in control. That is why people don’t step out to take responsibility.
10. THE WORLD: 1 John 2:15. The idol in the Herat makes one to easily focus on the current life to the point that he/she doesn’t see how people are wrapped up in their careers, businesses that they cannot see ways to serve the Lord.
Focus on the eternal and not the temporal.
Apostle Paul’s formula for removing idols in found in Colossians 3:1-3. We should live for Christ and not for ourselves.